Friday, December 18, 2009

Creativity-Can it be learned?

Many of us imagine the misanthropic genius from time to time, the guy that develops creative masterpieces in a social vacumme, his/her brain accompanined only by cigarette smoke and booze. But does creativity really thrive like this? I think not.

I believe creativity promotes more creativity. While we need our quiet time to reflect and draw conclusions, the collaboration part is actually the most important part. The social aspect is the seed and perhaps great ideas evolve more from interesting interactions rather than interesting individuals.

For me, situations/interactions/events seem to pile up in my head and compost there. Interesting people, conversations, fights, disagreements just ferment somewhere and what sprouts out of this mess is often nothing like how it started.

I think creativity can be learned in the sense that maybe people can learn to recognize viable ideas when they get them. That one can learn to put oneself in situations that promote those ideas. That there are ways to maximize ones creativity. But I don't think you can learn to care. An individual does need some natural tendency to entertain bizarre ideas. So tell me, do you think creativity can be learned?

7 comments:

  1. It depends.

    Creative solutions to problems? Possibly. Creativity in general? Well, that I'm not so sure about.

    You need the ability to see past the obvious in order to be creative. Specifically, I'm talking about being able to synthesize everything that's out there and come back with some new take that twists part A with part D or similar. That I'm not sure can be learned.

    Then again, you are right that some people just don't care. Those are the ones that can't be taught no matter how much you try.

    The misanthropic solitary genius will never create something worthwhile in a vacuum. They need someone to bounce ideas off ... even if it's a plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt pretty much sums up my beliefs -- more eloquently than I could have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Matt is a genius. I think you can learn different outlets for creativity (like I want to take a stained glass class), but you're either hard-wired for creativity or you're not.

    And I love the word misanthropic. I'm pretty misanthropic- I'd rather be playing with my characters any day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same belief like you that creativity can be learnt. You need to cultivate and nurture it. Thanks for sharing such an interesting and valuable thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think it can be learned, to a certain extent. I believe you must have a predisposition. Then again, you can be a creative problem solver, and not have a clue of artistic creativity.

    hmmm... now I'm pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt- Wow, well said. Thanks dude. I agree completely.

    Bane- Yeah, me too.

    Stephanie- yeah Matt's a genius. And I love misanthrope as well. There is a pretty good book called "The Misanthrope" that I read in high school, I think thats were I learned it.

    James- Welcome aboard! Thanks for your input.

    Diaz- I agree, there are many forms of creativity. And those should be addressed as well. Thanks man.

    ReplyDelete